Tuesday 4 February 2014

Top Ten (Fifteen) Books That Make Me Cry

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, which features (you guessed it!) top ten lists on a given topic each week. This week’s topic is Top Ten Books that will make you cry. 

I know this isn't a book blog, and this is also a belated post because my internet was down all day, but I haven't had time to start making videos again and I like talking about books so here we go. I'm an easy crier, so I've included...well, a lot more than ten. They're not in order, I just wrote them as I thought of them.


  1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling: Need I say more? The first time I read this, I had so many moments of realisation that it would be the last time I read about Harry Potter's life and that alone brings it onto this list. 
  2. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare: Ugly crying during this one. I didn't shed a single tear throughout the entire Mortal Instruments series and the first two books of this one but then during this book there were just a few moments that broke me. And I also cried steadily through the end it. Such a fantastic conclusion. 
  3. Before I Die by Jenny Downham: Subtle, beautiful and crushing. As was the film, Now Is Good.
  4. Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin: I read this book years and years ago and yet it still came to mind immediately. Such a wonderful story that I most definitely cried my way through.
  5. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett: A beautiful classic that has me a bit misty eyed at the thought of it.
  6. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: I mean. Come on. I'll never forgive John for the ugly tears he made me shed. 
  7. The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray: These tears are both of despair and also anger because why why why?
  8. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger: Real and crushing, this story deals with issues that are easy to overlook when writing fantastical elements such as time travel. 
  9. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
  10. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: Nazi Germany, narrated by death, Marcus Zusak's writing. A recipe for my tears. 
  11. Unwind by Neal Shusterman: Painfully sad and raw.
  12. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins: Such a sad conclusion. 
  13. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro: One of the things that brings me to tears with this book is the thought that this could be a reality. 
  14. Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys: Josie has such a sad life and when little pieces of it start falling apart, it's all I can do to keep it together. 
  15. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness: Simple, but heavy. Short, but unforgettable. This graphic novel type book is absolutely beautiful and depressing.

And now, I'm going to go find a book to cheer myself up from thinking of these beauties. What books have made YOU ugly cry? Or if you're less ridiculously emotional than me, what made you misty eyed? Happy Tuesday, folks. x

2 comments:

  1. I just finished The Book Thief and gave myself a headache from crying, so I'm glad to hear I'm not alone! In general, I do a lot of crying with books and movies - to give you an idea, I cried over Smeagol's death while reading Return of the King. Yup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently cried buckets of tears over Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. A girl loses job and starts working as a carer for a quadriplegic who intends to end his life... I'm still not sure why I actually read it..

    ReplyDelete